Tuesday, October 6, 2015

How Much Is That Again?


It hasn't been easy to convert Indonesian prices into US dollars -- with the exchange rate at about 14,193 Rupiah to $1 USD -- making the advertised juice (photo above) cost about $2.11 USD.  Thank goodness for exchange apps on my phone.  Just picking up about $500 USD worth of Rupiah at my local bank before the trip resulted in me getting 145 paper notes worth 50,000 Rupiah each.  I have to keep reminding myself that each bill is only worth about $3.43 USD.

On the other hand, my needs are met cheaply.  One example, the beach-side dinner at the resort (pictured in the prior post) cost only $5.15 US (75,000 Rupiah).  Like my travel in China, I am reminded why ex-pats enjoy the low cost of living there and here.  When I asked my friend from high school about his choice to remain an ex-pat for his career and retirement, he said it was an easy decision when he remembered that back in the USA he wouldn't likely have his own cook/chef, housekeeper and driver.


No comments:

Post a Comment