Tuesday, October 20, 2015

October 20 - Some More Thoughts About Singapore

It's already come time to leave Singapore -- and there is much I missed -- but considering I only decided to add the 4 days here just because I had to connect flights here anyway and had never visited, I leave very pleased with my decision.

Daughter Staci, who had visited with her husband, forewarned me that I might not enjoy Singapore as much as other travel I've taken.  This caution grew from her knowing that in 2009/2010, I hadn't "enjoyed" Hong Kong as much as travel in mainland China.  In a way she was right -- but in true Clinton-isque language -- it sort of depends on one's definition of "enjoyed."  Here is my distinction -- Hong Kong, like Shanghai, is a world-class city with plenty of English language signage and plenty of folks everywhere who understand/speak English -- so it is fairly easy traveling. Singapore was even easier.  So Staci is correct -- traveling Singapore was not as adventurous and challenging as traveling in other parts of China where nothing is in English and one is lucky if you find somebody who does speak it when you need something.  I do love/enjoy that challenge -- doing something that most other Americans wouldn't even try to do -- traveling inland China using public transportation without a guide.  Now that's adventure!

But, on the other hand, I truly enjoyed my time here in Singapore.  My assessment:  a world model for easy-to-use, convenient and safe public transportation (airport, MRT and bus); super easy to tend to everyday needs (even MRT stations had beautifully maintained toilets -- something even the Washington, DC metro doesn't have); and, a feeling of personal security throughout the city, day or night (who feels that on New York's graffiti covered subway?)  Did I enjoy it?  You bet!  Is it adventure travel?  Not so much! Though you can make eating truly adventurous -- or not, it's definitely a choice as there is much of everything (well, maybe not enough Mexican culinary choices -- more on that in my next blog entry).

Do I want to return?  For certain!  There is much I missed -- including the best zoo in the world, the world class botanical gardens -- and the list goes on.

But what would a blog post be without a couple of photos --

I'm thinking it's just a matter of time before we have this type of grocery store pricing in the USA (maybe we already do in some areas, I just haven't seen it):


I'm guessing they are wifi controlled so that price changes can be implemented storewide with just a few keystrokes.

And this sign is on every MRT car -- and while I was vaguely aware that a "durian" was a fruit -- 

I had to look it up to see why they are forbidden (they stink).

And finally, I enjoyed running across this sign in the bathroom at the Haw Par Villa (remember this place was originally built in 1937 -- who knows when the sign was put up):







No comments:

Post a Comment