Tuesday, October 20, 2015

What's Your Comfort Food?

Before you read on, think for a moment what food you commonly eat that you might start to miss if you didn't have it for a while -- say 15 days or a month?  I'd suggest that if you answer  "none" -- you probably haven't traveled much or only for short durations to places where "your" food is readily and safely available.  If you want to add a little fun to the exercise, think of a snack or drink that you just love -- and would miss if you couldn't have it for an extended period.  A snickers bar maybe?  Chocolate in general?  An IPA (or even just a decent beer)?

I love asking that question when traveling -- and I love hearing the answers.  Mexican food is a common answer for Americans traveling in Asia -- but my experience has been that it is most often a food that you were raised with.  So it was no surprise when I asked my Bali driver Made that question -- remember he was away on 3 cruise line contracts -- it was Balinese food, especially the mouth-burning spice of the roasted pig that we had on the side of the road. When Staci/Martin were teaching in China, we delivered 3 Costco-sized bags of Cheez-it's!

For my answer, you'll have to skip ahead or read the rest of this blog:

I'm sitting in Singapore's Changi Airport awaiting a 7pm flight to Shenzhen, China -- with lots of time on my hands because I left the hotel at about 1:30pm (got a delayed check out) and took the MRT directly here.  So I arrived, checked in (only carry-on and easy immigration and security checks) -- and noticed the Ambassador Transit Lounge directly in my path.  I approached the desk and learned that I'd get all I could eat, drink (non-alcoholic), free wifi, a shower, and comfortable chairs/surroundings for $26 USD.  I looked over the food selection and hesitated, but then remembered that I had Singapore dollars to burn (yes I could exchange them, but they'd be worth even less) and decided that if I could spend $26 for one Singapore Sling -- I could certainly enjoy the 4-5 hours I had to wait here.

So I settled in and approached to get some grub.  It was good -- and on my second trip, beyond a blocking wall, I noticed it -- a delicious looking salad bar -- only olives, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes -- but also my beloved Thousand Island dressing (and vinegar/oil, another favorite though I'd have to forego the required garlic salt).  My slight guilt for indulging myself quickly vanished as I knew that I would have made a guilt-free decision if I had noticed the salad bar initially.

I know I can get salad and dressing -- particularly here in Singapore -- but it's not something I had in the past 15 days, and having been raised on it, it is truly my comfort food.   I loaded up several times and only quit when I noticed the jar of Oreo cookies just inviting me to sample them.  A well spent $26 bucks -- well, maybe not so much -- but in this moment, at this place -- definitely.

Now I'm missing hot oatmeal or cream of wheat (called "mush" in my family) but only if I can top it with brown sugar and either raisins or chocolate chips!



Now on to Shenzhen on Tiger Airlines!

No comments:

Post a Comment