Sunday, October 11, 2015

October 10-12 - Another First: Scuba Diving

During my reading/planning for this adventure, I noted that one of the top activities to do in Bali is to learn or practice scuba diving.  I had never in my life even thought about the endeavor but the more I read, the more I thought I should at least try it.  And try it I did -- in a free opportunity at a California dive shop pool.  That opportunity convinced me that I could overcome my fears (unlike my fear of heights which I struggle with) and so I set about researching and making plans to take a "Discover Scuba" class/experience in the Bali coastal town of Candidasa.  I found a top rated place from tripadvisor.com -- and convinced myself that I should try this "Discover" experience before deciding whether to seek certification.  I was happy to get encouragement from my brother Todd who is an experienced scuba diver.

Long story shortened:  I was trained on the afternoon I arrived in the pool and the next day we completed two dives here in Candidasa (Blue Lagoon and Jepun) off a boat and the amazing experience prompted me to yet again change my plans and stay a third night in Candidasa so I could participate in two dives at one of the top dive sites in Bali -- perhaps the world -- the World War II USArmy Liberty Wreck in the Bali coastal town of Tulamben.  This youtube video will show you what I saw there -- no amount of words can explain.  The video is 17 minutes, but you'll get a good idea of the scuba experience at the Wreck within the first couple.

If I continue to write, it would just be repetitive superlatives and overuse of the word amazing -- so I'll let a youtube video of me -- and some photos -- tell the story.

The video here shows my graceful entrance into the water from the boat at Jepun Dive Site.




At the Liberty Wreck site, we rode an hour by van -- and didn't even have to unload our equipment.  Here we entered the site from the rocky beach -- which presented a new challenge in carrying all the gear and air tank through the waves.




I'm already wondering whether I should change up my trip and return for another couple of dives before departing Bali on the 16th -- and looking forward to when I can return.  If you watch any of the video of the Wreck Dive, you'll understand my enthusiasm.  What an experience!  Wasn't even on my bucket list -- but now a top adventure experience of my life!  Playing it by ear!  Indeed!

1 comment: