Thursday, October 22, 2015

October 21: Revisiting Where China Adventures Started 6 Years Ago

Shenzhen -- I never even heard of the place prior to 2008 when my daughter-in-law's brother taught English here. And here is where I fell in love with traveling in China  when I visited daughter Staci/her husband when they were teaching English here in 2009/2010 (they blogged here).  I'll spare you the details -- you can look up at the links -- but Shenzhen exploded onto the world scene over the past quarter century, and now has a metro population which is the approximate size of the USA's largest city, New York.  I visited twice when Staci/Martin were here -- and those visits led to my 3rd visit to China (Shanghai and Hangzhou) in 2013 (blogged about here). 

That's the backstory of why I booked myself to travel here again as part of this adventure -- 6 years later from my first visit. When I planned my few days here -- my intent was only to visit the two Chinese teachers who had mentored Staci/Martin, and whom I had gotten to know, and revisit the school campus -- and then begin another exploration of China.  I initially thought I might take the high speed railway from here to Shanghai -- as it was only completed as far as Wuhan on my prior adventure -- and I had greatly enjoyed that trip.  But as life and opportunities developed, Shenzhen just became a stop over on the way to Qingdao (more on that in a future posting).

My unfortunate fake taxi adventure was easily behind me the next morning -- and I set out for a brief walk around my hotel to figure out what services/food might be around me and I found plenty, though my attempts to find a laundry business failed.  Remember I'm in an area where no English is spoken, not even by the desk clerks of this hotel, and a much nicer/new one next door (believe me I tried).  You can guess the hand motions I used to explain what I was looking for -- but the best I got was a finger pointing another direction.  I tried asking about 4 or 5 people, before I decided to await the expected noon time arrival of "Harry," one of the two mentor teachers (the other had written that he wouldn't be here as he was on a 2 month training assignment in New York).

Harry arrived right on schedule – and after greetings I asked about laundry. I was somewhat pleased to learn/watch that even a native got several misdirections before we found the laundry a few blocks away. With that taken care of – Harry drove me to the school compound where Staci/Martin lived and worked – and where I had lived with them during my visit.



Being on campus provided wonderful deja vu feelings as we returned to Staci/Martin's “Foreign Teachers” office

and the cafeteria. Harry has since been promoted to an administrative position at another office and this visit was his first in several years as well – and it was clear from the excitement of other teachers that saw him that he was very highly regarded. Much happiness was apparent – though I understood only the smiles and excited voice tones, not the words.

 

I was delighted with Harry's offer that we, once again, eat in the cafeteria with the staff as I had done several times when I visited before. Much wonderful conversation – a little of it was in English with a couple of the teachers – and lots of happiness as I was able to show photos of Staci/Martin and their son – and speak of her pregnancy – as well as a photo of older daughter Debi and her family – as Debi had visited with me in 2010 (blogged here). All seemed to respond as if they remembered – perhaps many did! Thankfully Harry was explaining it all.

After lunch Harry took me on a walking tour of the campus (it's a closed, residential campus) that I knew so well and he bought me an ice cream from the school store 



The visit couldn't have been better – and as Harry headed back to a meeting, I asked that he drop me off close to a nearby village – so that I might try to find a favorite little hole-in-the-wall restaurant which I've blogged about before (here). I found it, and though I wasn't very hungry – I had to again sample the deliciousness of these hand-pulled noodles. It was more difficult to get myself understood because the large, detailed signs had been replaced by just a few food photos – but I pointed at one that looked delicious, watched the cook prepare noodles/meal and I enjoyed. Just like my memory of deliciousness!









The entrance to the restaurant:



No comments:

Post a Comment