Sunday, October 25, 2015

October 24 - Traveling to Rural China

Until last Wednesday, I had only planned to fly to Qingdao to reconnect with Andy -- now residing there, the city where he attended University.  However, on Wednesday I got a text from Andy advising that he had come up with a "wild idea" -- proposing to take me to his hometown village to meet his parents there, and two sisters and their families nearby.  Andy knew of my interest in visiting his village from prior conversations, but no opportunity had arisen.  His idea was a welcome one and he set upon making arrangements -- with lots of coordination with both his family and me.

In addition, last night, Andy and I were joined by his cousin "Carol" and her 5 year old son. Andy had connected with her since moving to Qingdao and when she learned of his plan to take me to his village, she was invited to go with us.  Carol also speaks excellent English -- and I was happy to be getting to add another friend in China.

This morning the three of us took a cab to the main Qingdao Rail Station -- grabbed breakfast at another Uyghur Muslim noodle place...
...and began a 6 hour train ride due west to Tai'an and then south to the town of Ciyao.  If you want to see it on a map, here is a Google map marking all the China cities/towns I've visited including Ciyao.

The train ride couldn't have been more fun as I sat between Carol and Andy, and we enjoyed much laughter among the non-stop conversation about life, culture, attitudes, and values on the full range of topics.

The train was mostly packed -- including only standing room for a while -- but our seating, 3 side-by-side, was super convenient for the fun conversations we enjoyed.

Both Carol and Andy are university educated with quick wits -- making for easy conversation. Carol is a sale rep for a large hair extension's factory (real and synthenic hair) -- which provided even more conversation.  I learned more about the purchase and sale of hair than a bald guy needs to know -- but it was super interesting.  Her husband, a successful businessman, stayed home to care for their 5 year old.

Upon arrival in Ciyao we were met by Andy's two older sisters, their husbands and children -- and whisked off to a comfortable hotel and then to dinner.  I felt like royalty as they arranged a lavish meal where the many different dishes just keep arriving and rotated on the rotating table center ("Lazy Susan").  Carol and Andy were the only ones who spoke English, though the 12 year old knew some basics -- so it was an evening of much translating for me -- as I knew I was welcomed and being honored by both the words and the eyes/smiles.

I tried and liked everything -- though as with all food there were several dishes that were extra superb -- including a sweet and sour fish, and some sweet potatoes covered in melted, sticky brown sugar.



And after dinner we were taken to the apartment of one of Andy's sisters to get a tour, and enjoy tea and more conversation. I enjoyed trying to talk some English with their 12 year old daughter who like my own older granddaughter Amelia enjoys art, and playing my trademark Grandad "tickle monster" with the two 5 year old boys.



It was a delightful evening of friendship and food -- and I went to bed with that "I ate too much" feeling and happiness for getting to know Andy's family.  We're off to Andy's hometown village tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment