Wednesday, October 28, 2015

October 26 - Part 2: More Family Time and Saying Goodbye

Andy's original plan for the day – sightseeing tourist sights in the historically significant birthplace of Confucious, Qufu, was altered when he asked me if I'd rather go sightseeing or visit his other sister's home/village. It was an easy decision I made instantly – I could always return to sightsee, this was an opportunity to visit another village and another home, this time the home of Andy's other sister and her husband – who was our driver, and his parents. In addition, we were going to be joined by Andy's parents again so that they could have more time with Andy and see him off.

 

Once again I was honored and tea flowed as I was welcomed and given a tour. The visit included learning about both making a living off their plot of land and being shoe vendors at local markets. I was also treated to viewing some antiques that had been passed down through generations.

When we left there, I felt successful in convincing Andy that our lunch stop should be someplace that serves some common, daily food – not the feasts of the last two days. The family agreed on a local noodle place and I again enjoyed a wonderful meal with everyone.



The weather reminded me of Portland – a misting rain – but it didn't stop us from a photo-op stop at one of the cities monuments to Confucius – and a walk in a shopping district. I was very touched with the sisters purchased and gave me a souvenir momento of the trip – and insisted that I be treated to another special treat – tiny apples covered in a deliciously sweet coating.






We then headed to the train station in Qufu to catch a bullet train back to Qingdao.  Good byes are always challenging – this one was especially difficult as I had made to feel a part of the family. I had been able to control my happiness emotions all day but having Andy's mom touch the glass the separated us with her open palm as I did the same on my side of the glass brought such a intense happiness that the tears flowed.




Andy's “wild idea” had been so wonderful, so perfect, so special. It's a visit I will look forward to repeating!



1 comment:

  1. What an incredible gift you were given over the past several days - a perfect conclusion to your trip.

    ReplyDelete