Thursday, October 8, 2015

Wed-Thurs, October 7-8 - From Rice Fields to Snorkeling

So it's already Friday when I'm writing this -- having been too busy to have time to write.  So, my pictures will have to be worth 1000 words.  It's been a worldwind of interesting and fun activities -- with the highlight coming Thursday snorkeling from a boat off the coast of Amed.  And, for the snorkeling you'll just have to take my word for it that it was a most amazing experience in crystal clear waters seeing stunning colors and formations of coral, and fish like I've only experienced through the sides of aquariums.  And this snorkeling is not at all like my prior experience in Honolulu where masses of people chum the fish -- it was a very solitary experience where the fish, starfish, eels swam by as if I were just another fish among them.  I truly wish I had an underwater camera -- something I'll add to my checklist for my next trip here -- because the fish and coral certainly provided a circus of activity and color in every direction.

But first, let me get you to the snorkeling.  As previously described, Made picked me up at the rice field villa in Sidemen right on time on Wedneday as we had already made plans to head to Amed where I ended up in the beachside bungalow.

A reminder of the beauty of the Sidemen area rice fields:


Enroute we stopped by the one of the more frequently toured temples -- referred to as the "Bat Cave" Temple because of the mass of bats residing there.  Interesting both to see the bats and have more opportunity to learn about Hinduism:

And then stopping to visit the traditionally maintained Tenganan Village -- sort of a Bali equivalent to "Old Town" in San Diego or Williamsburg, Virginia -- with lots weaving and artistic vendors (which we didn't stop at because of my own personal travel philosophy: to collect memories and experiences, not things -- maybe I'll blog about that sometime).  It was definitely worth the visit though as it gave rise to much conversation about Bali culture -- and ceremony -- including some fun discussion (translated by Made for me) about use of cock fighting in ceremonies when it is otherwise prohibited.  Once I felt comfortable that it wasn't just a paid photo op, I agreed to a photo with one of the cocks and his trainer.  No money expected or requested.


Those who know me will recall another of my favorite expressions:  Life Begins At The End of Your Comfort Zone.  And it's this thought that preoccupies my culinary interests when traveling.  So for lunch this day, Made found another roadside stand and guided the ordering of more typical Balinese and Indonesia fare.  A few photos will give you an idea of the experience -- and the food delicious even as I continue to try to adjust to the mouth burning spice!  


After lunch we enjoyed the nearby Tirta Gangaga Water Palace Gardens  .  A beautiful stop to walk off and relax from our lunch.



We then arrived in the beautiful seaside village of Amed -- stopping at a local waroeng for lunch.  Made knew the owner of the warung (both convenience store and Two Ekas Waroeng) from previous guiding experiences in the area -- and the owner helped us with finding the amazing beachside bungalow that I previously shared.  In addition, the owner's wife is the cook at the restaurant and we enjoyed an amazing meal.  I've got the name of the dish written down so I could order it again without Made's help -- as it was such a tasty combination of rice, tofu and peanut sauce. 


This owner, Nengah, is also a local fisherman  -- and when he learned of my interest in snorkeling, we made plans to do just that from his boat on Thursday. 


And afterwards had another amazing meal (this time fish) at his restaurant.


I've left much out -- including long conversations with a local Austrailian ex-pat (about my age) who has lived here a long time -- and shares my love of motorcycling (we got to visit his Kawasaki in his beachside home).

Before the evening was over, I had tasted the local alcoholic specialty Ayak.   And yes, I know Lonely Planet cautions against it because of poisoning deaths -- but I've spent enough time with Made to develop trust of his advice that it is not a problem in villages like Amed,  Also, during the evening I learned that Nengah goes fishing (placing nets from the boat pictured above) every morning both for his own shop and others -- and I took a chance in asking Made to ask him if he might allow me to accompany him in the morning.  So this morning (Friday) -- I met him at 4:30am to begin a morning of another amazing experience that I will post about next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment